Welcome 2nd Grade!!

No more sleeping late for us! It's back to school time!

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Burnt Offerings

Those who know and love me, know that I can't cook worth a damn. After yesterday's fiasco morning, I decided to make cookies last night, with which to bribe T this morning. Aunt Dot had used that gimmick with some success while she was staying with us for the last 2 weeks.

Problem is, my cookies are markedly different than my sister's. My cookies have a beautiful halo of dark brown all around the edges and on the bottoms. What's worse, is that they are more the consistency of a cracker than a cookie with an extremely high crunch factor. T wants nothing to do with them. Making them was particularly demeaning, in that everytime I pulled out some pot or pan from the cabinet to use, T would say,

"That's Aunt Dottie's, Mama, That's Dottie's."

Yeah, no shit sherlock (I thought in my mind).

So this morning, once again, I had to manhandle T into her clothes. Carol McK's suggested bribe of no TV until dressed had no impact. Nor did my bribe of my burnt offerings. Hmm, perhaps I should pull out the big guns, and offer chocolate M & Ms. Good lord, though, I think the daycare would kill me if I sent T to school on a sugary chocolate high.

Suggestions, anyone?

4 Brilliant Comment(s) from Friends:

park it said...

ok - here is how it plays out - get up - eat - pick out clothes (k 99% of the time cares less about her options..if she does take notice - I give her a choice of 2 shirts/2 shorts/pants -only one pair of shoes for school (no option there...) (no tv at this point) I tell her get dressed - then you can turn on the tv - if I take a shower and she is still piddling - I remind her that she will go to school how ever she is dressed (we make funny sayings like - MAMA - my friends will say Kimberly I see your panties...mama they should not see my panties - she cracks herself up (forgetting that she was being stubborn..) If this still fails - then I pull out the BIG men ole mom stuff - I tell her ok - you will go just as you are and no TV for 2 days - come with me while we mark the calendar (most of it is all a big show by me-her button is TV - It might be something else in your house - like her music in the car or a favorite snack (I don't hold back food-only things like her Popsicle after dinner or ice cream)...Figure out her trigger - and push it - I can tell you K went thru a stage for about 2 weeks where we had a battle everyday - and then as fast as it appeared it was gone - I kept it light - tried to joke but was well prepared to take her as is - she has seen me do that with not moving fast enough and we run out of time to "do her hair" she was all upset - I told her if she got dressed faster then I would have time to do her hair - I ran a brush thru it and off she went - I normally pull it back in 2 pony’s...

Or you could try - "if you want to earn your dress (1 dress) back -you have to xyz for 3 days in a row - don't give in - highlight the calendar - so she see the 3 days - and if she goes 2 then slips back remind her of what is at stake -and she is choosing her option - not mommy...reverse it on her - I should write a book -
It is prob just more of I am getting a little older and see how far I can push mom - my motto is - It is my way or ahhhhh - yes MY WAY! This is a dictatorship...and I am the queen - princess - :-)
Of course with a smile on my face - then I walk into my broom and want to scream into a pillow - ahahhhahahahhah - thank goodness K is past that episode...no giving in - has been my motto fm day 1 - it works for us - maybe you too - or you could just eat a whole bunch of cookies...
Hugs fm us

park it said...

ps no bribes - just do what I ask or this is the consequence..she chooses it by her actions...

Laura said...

I am definitely not as good at this as Carol McK but I agree no bribes. She should not be rewarded for doing what she needs to do. On the other hand, I would strongly reinforce what she needs to do and use the princess dresses as incentive. I also use the 1-2-3 magic warning, telling her she has until I count to 3 or....
I've taken away TV, taking a book in the car, etc. Tonight though I again followed your lead and put bubbles on the high shelf because she wouldn't listen.

Itty Bitty Ladybug said...

We call Santa at 1-800-CAll-SNTA to report poor choices to Sparkle, the elf in charge of the nice and naughty list. It's a direct line to the North Pole for parents only. I know. Shame on me.

A marvelous plan was made in the stars,
to create a miracle across the ocean so far....
Then entwine and weave all the hopes and labor,
it would take to bring us this joy called "Taylor"....
Now three lives are blessed and somewhere in the stars,
the planners are smiling, as we all are.
-Anon.




Taylor's Gal Pals

How Long We've Been a Family: