Welcome 2nd Grade!!

No more sleeping late for us! It's back to school time!

Friday, January 2, 2009

Timer minus One...and Counting

The first Time Out of the New Year occurred at approximately 5:45 p.m on New Years Day. T whacked me with a princess wand on purpose, b/c I told her she couldn't do something. Off to timeout we went. We had to walk from downstairs to her bedroom. Of course, on the way I told her she was going time out, and we were going to use the new Taylor Timer. She perked up and said, "Oh, that's a good idea...I can do it" (meaning she wanted to set it).

Not quite the reaction I was going for. She thought it was great fun to use the new timer. Well, I set if for about 3 minutes, ordered her to sit on her bed and not to move til it dings. Surprise of all surprises...she did it!! Of course, when I shut the door, T realized the reality of what was happening and started crying. I was thrilled.

Later, T wanted to hold it. I told her she could this one time, but that this was a mama toy, not a Taylor toy. I figured that would satisfy her curiosity, prevent her from climbing up on the furniture to try and reach the thing, and that would be that. So, I gave it to her and ordered her to put it on the dresser when she was done. She promised. Mistake!

Yep, you guessed it. I can no longer locate the white Taylor timer. T claims that it is under her bed. When asked why its there, she claimed that "its under the bed because I was making it tick". Well, that explains everything, now, doesn't it?

I suspect its somewhere in that blasted tent. Unfortunately for me, I can't climb in the dumb thing with my back. Dot's job this weekend will be attempting to located the hidden Taylor Time-Out Timer.

Anybody want to lay odds on whether or not it will ever be found?

UPDATE: The timer has been found. When we got home tongiht, I told T she better find it fast. She went in her room, and was out in less than 30 seconds. Where she had it squirrelled away, I'll never know. So, we're back in business.

BTW Carol, I agree in theory about doing a time out near the scene of the crime, so to speak. That's another reason I have 2 timers: one for the front of the house and one for the back. In this instance, we were downstairs and both were upstairs in her room.

3 Brilliant Comment(s) from Friends:

park it said...

Oh good Go* woman - first TIME OUT is to be TOUGH - yes tough - Firm - no touching - no excuses - nothing except "you are in time out for 3 mins because you hit mommy" - ding - Then ask her "do you know why you were in timeout (the answers get really good then...) Then tell her again - you were in TO because you hit mama with the wand...if you do this ever in the future(yes a VERY long time) The wand(or said item) will go in the trash - and you will go on timeout and loose a priviledge...(now mind you I only use this MEGA dose on soemthing like hitting/spitting/mega back talk...) the rest of the time I just ask her to select which privilege she wishes to loose since she did not do XYZ - unless she does it in X time period - like NOW.

Oh and timeout - not in the child's room - on the floor or chiar/rug - where there is Nothing to look at (front door/corner of kitchen etc) Where ever you are - yep I have done it in the middle of the supermarket/target/ you name it - K knows I mean business. (mean ole mom)

Regarding the timer - tell T that she needs to locate the timer or you will keep all her XYZ until it is found - and she can't (ride her bike/play in the tent etc -what ever the hot button is-trust me she will find it - stand firm(you may have to guide her (ie take everything out of your tent until it is empty etc...)
You know I always like to give my 5 cents - (just so you get your monies worth)...Come on..us Carol's have to stick together.
I should write a book - hahahaha...like I have a clue - hey what works for me - just might work for you.
FIRMNESS !!!!!!!

Dorothy said...

Carol,
I agree with you and will help my sis work this out. Yeah, I'm the tough one but you're right.
Meanwhile, what time does K go to bed? Just curious.
Dot

Christi and Abbey said...

Saw your marble track present and it does look so fun. Would you believe there are no good toys here in Shenzhen? So, when we went to Hong Kong earlier in the year we went to ToysRUs and I bought the marble track set and lugged it back to the mainland. When we got home and were all excited to set it up would you believe there were no bases and no marbles, just the tubes to make the towers, it couldn't stand up. After a few days I threw it away, knowing I could never lug it back there to return it (with the stroller, on subways, immigration, etc) About two weeks later what opened up here in Shenzhen? You got it ToysRUs! Since you all enjoyed it we may go get another one and check to see that it has all the pieces first. I had mousetrap as a child and loved it!
Happy New Year to you all!

A marvelous plan was made in the stars,
to create a miracle across the ocean so far....
Then entwine and weave all the hopes and labor,
it would take to bring us this joy called "Taylor"....
Now three lives are blessed and somewhere in the stars,
the planners are smiling, as we all are.
-Anon.




Taylor's Gal Pals

How Long We've Been a Family: