Welcome 2nd Grade!!

No more sleeping late for us! It's back to school time!

Saturday, January 3, 2009

My New Obsession

yep, I've gone off the deep end and have definitely got one, again.

My new obsession is planning T's upcoming 4th birthday party. This is the first year that she truly understands what a birthday is. In year's past, our parties have been quiet family affairs in my home. Well, I've been contemplating having a "real" birthday party. Those who know me, recall that I used to host an annual xmas party which was a blow-out bash. I love nothing more than planning a party. I used to have over 100 people who would come throughout the night. It got bigger and bigger, and grew the final year into a tent outside, a live band, and a bartender. I stopped about a year after I submitted my adoption application. Instead in the next 2 years, I did important things like redo my teeny tiny kitchen, which included installing a dishwasher. That was the smartest thing I ever did...but I digress.

Now that I'm a mom, I have no desire at all to plan the thing myself in my home...unless I could pay someone to come in , set up, MC the thing, then clear out. I was thinking a Tea Party. Perfect idea, right? Ummm, only if you're a millionaire. The cost of a professional party organizer is prohibitive...like 800 - 1,000.00...and that's on the low end. INSANE!

So, my fall-back idea is to find somewhere outside my house to hold the thing. I figure that would be a nice compromise. I'm busy searching for venues. So far, the likely places are Pump-It-Up and the Miami Children's Museum. Again, for an exhorbitant price (in my opinion), but at a bargain rate compared to the party planner, I would get a room for a couple hours, really crappy food, and the staff would set it all up. Again, this doesn't really thrill me. Ergo my dauntless search.

Well, today I stumbled upon a new idea. A better idea. A FABULOUS idea. After I chased T around the block a few times on her bike, we went to lunch in Coral Gables to a place called Archies Pizza. Guess what I spied?

They have a separate little room for kid parties. Kids tables and everything. The kids actually get to make their own pizzas. What's great is that the adults get their own table. What's fabulous is that the restaurant has yummy food... not the crap of the other places. Plus......hold onto your hats girls.....they've got a liquor license...a full bar!

Yippee!!!

This is what I forsee:


  • Princess/Pirate Pizza Party - Girls-Day-Out Cocktail Party.
I'm honing the guest list as we speak. Trying to find that perfect mix of guests of little girls and boys of T's age(not the easiest thing to do), with fun moms I wouldn't mind having a few drinks with.

Pray that they don't charge a fee just to walk in the door. If its just the cost of the food and drinks...

Sat. March 28, 2009...Let the Party Begin!

2 Brilliant Comment(s) from Friends:

Laura said...

I'm doing Sara's either on 3/14 or 3/21 and am struggling with the same thing. If I don't do it somewhere else, it will probably end up being held @ my parents' due to the space issue. Sara has 3 friends from school she really likes so I'm tempted to go with a "kid party" but would like to have adults there as well. Which makes holding it at the Children's Museum kind of lame. And I might kill myself if I have it at Chuck E Cheese. Aaargh.

Alyson and Ford said...

What a great idea!! I love a kids party where the adults get to drink adult beverages!!
Laura: Just say NO to Chuck E Cheese!!! Don't do it!

Alyzabeth's Mommy of 15 Weeks

A marvelous plan was made in the stars,
to create a miracle across the ocean so far....
Then entwine and weave all the hopes and labor,
it would take to bring us this joy called "Taylor"....
Now three lives are blessed and somewhere in the stars,
the planners are smiling, as we all are.
-Anon.




Taylor's Gal Pals

How Long We've Been a Family: