Welcome 2nd Grade!!

No more sleeping late for us! It's back to school time!

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Single-Working-Mom's Guide to Surviving Her Kid's Cold

Well, my dreams of putting in a full day at work today, with T in daycare, have been dashed. We woke up this morning, and T's cough seems to be worse. She had a fever of 99.8...that's boardering on 100. Crap. So, we both got dressed and I dragged her to work, so that I could do a few things and pick up some stuff. As we were there, I noticed that her nose is now starting to run. As soon as we got home, T turns to me and asks if she can go to bed. My kid NEVER voluntarily goes to bed. Looks like we'll be home again tomorrow.

I've spoken before about how staying home with a sick kid is a million times harder than going to work. I'd rather go to work, as even the most stressful day there, is easier than staying home with a sick kid. So, I thought it might be helpful to compose a list of tips that have made my life more bearable in the last few days. I call it the Single-Working-Mom's Guide to Surviving Her Kid's Cold:



1. Make sure you have a TV & DVD player in the child's room, so you're not stuck watching their assinine movies and TV shows all day long.



2. Put on a news channel, such as MSNBC, to give you the illusion that you're participating in adult conversation.



3. When she's feeling slightly better, go out to a restaurant for dinner. Order a glass of wine. A big one.



4. While out, buy her another assinine movie or some other game or craft. Distraction is the key!



5. Have cheesedoodles in the house. They clearly have excellent healing powers. (I really should call the CDC and let them in on this little tip)



6. Allow her to play on Noggin.com for idiotic amounts of time, so that you can get some things done...and drink a glass of wine...a big one!

That's it so far...perhaps I'll add to it as the days go by.

2 Brilliant Comment(s) from Friends:

chart said...

What can I say? Just wish I had the magic cure. I would spread it all around the 1st Street Casa and get rid of that vicious bug once and for all. Love you 2...... ;)

Laura said...

I would add that while out, buy large amounts of wine (for you) along with juice, Vick's, honey (a natural cough remedy) and make sure you have a vaporizer and Vick's plug-ins. Also Kleenex. Huge amounts of Kleenex and hand sanitizer.
And more wine.
Sara slept, or rather didn't sleep, in our bed again last night. Her cough has been awful the last 2 nights.

A marvelous plan was made in the stars,
to create a miracle across the ocean so far....
Then entwine and weave all the hopes and labor,
it would take to bring us this joy called "Taylor"....
Now three lives are blessed and somewhere in the stars,
the planners are smiling, as we all are.
-Anon.




Taylor's Gal Pals

How Long We've Been a Family: