Welcome 2nd Grade!!

No more sleeping late for us! It's back to school time!

Thursday, June 19, 2008

To sleep or not to sleep...that is the Q!

Last night i decided to take the bull by the horns, or the T by the back of her pajamas in this case, and make her go to sleep in her own bed. The Today show has been doing a segment on sleep issues, and gave me the "bright" idea. So, around 9:30 we both went into her room. T in her bed and me in the glider. T fell asleep around 10:00 p.m. or so. Piece of cake. I was feeling particularly proud of myself.

I, on the otherhand, went to bed around 11:30. Fell asleep only to be woken up at 12:30 by T. She was in my room climbing into my bed. I didn't have the energy to chase her out. We fell back asleep and I snuck out into T's room around 1:30. Do you see a pattern forming?

Yep, like clockwork, T was in her room waking me up saying to come into mama's room at 2:30. Yep, I caved. Back we went into my room. I was basically up every hour for the next few hours. So, guess who has zero incentive to try it all again tonight?? At least when we start out in my bed, I can usually slip out without notice and get some restful sleep in the mermaid bed until morning.

However, I'll perservere and attempt it once again. We'll see what happens. I don't have high hopes. Luckily, with rehab in the morning, I can sleep in a little later than usual. We'll see what nonsense happens tonight.

Advice anyone?

3 Brilliant Comment(s) from Friends:

park it said...

Come on sister - tough it out - tell her she is a big girl and mama needs her room - and just keep taking her back - EVERY time she come to your bed - the super nanny way - Every once and awhile K will ask to sleep in my bed which means - she is in my bed at 7:15 - and when I am getting ready for bed I put her in her bed- where she stays until morning. I always tell her when I let her fall asleep in my bed - that she will wake up in her bed in the morning - so she is not shocked - like how the heck did I get in here...

Be tough - start this Friday - and tell her as the evening is winding down - that that is what you will do - so she can expect it - and don't stay in her room - let her fall asleep on her own...I used a sound machine when K was small - (white noise) now we use the "summer night" - we call it the crickets - she asks for it at night...I have always been firm about the sleep in your own bed thing -(unless sick)....YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

Brownie Troop 157 said...

Yeah, I know, I'm a wuss!

Laura said...

It's tough and we're inconsistent too. I would suggest, if you don't already have it, something like a white noise machine or a CD player. We try to make a big deal about putting Sara's night light and music on and she falls asleep to the music. When I'm putting her to bed, I turn on the hall light and tell her I'm close by and she's okay. She does better falling asleep in her room without me in there.
I will admit that if she wakes up during the night, she usually ends up in my bed. I'm too tired to be firm.

A marvelous plan was made in the stars,
to create a miracle across the ocean so far....
Then entwine and weave all the hopes and labor,
it would take to bring us this joy called "Taylor"....
Now three lives are blessed and somewhere in the stars,
the planners are smiling, as we all are.
-Anon.




Taylor's Gal Pals

How Long We've Been a Family: