Welcome 2nd Grade!!

No more sleeping late for us! It's back to school time!

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Evaluations and Scary Moms

So, T had her evaluation from school today. Upon entering a new class, they observe a child for about 2 months, and then do an evaluation of her skills. Currently they are evaluating T's 3yr old skills. The categories for evaluation are: Fine Motor, Language Development, Social Skills, Cognitive, Self-Help, and Pre-Writing. Each category has a list of 8 to 15 points for evaluation. One can score "3" (yes, skill achieved), "2" (working on), or "1" (no). I'm happy to report that T scored 93.75 percent...all 3's and a few 2's. They will evaluate her again, when she gets ready to move to the next class, to see how she's improved.

I agree with some of the assessments. For example, T can't yet take her shirt off over her head. We're working on that. Instead, the skinny minnie takes her arms out of the neck, and slides the whole shirt DOWN her skinny body, then steps out. Also, she can't properly put on a sweater or jacket. Frankly, she really has no opportunity to practice that skill in this swamp of a town we live in. I think she's only had a jacket on 4 or 5 times in her whole life while in Miami. So again, we'll work on that.

What's scary is the vehemence of my reactionn when I feel they've scored her as "working on", when I know she's acheived the skill. I've always made fun of those moms who haunt their kids' teachers, arguing over every little demerit or grade. I'm realizing that I'm particularly prone to such behavior given my job. At times, I unwittingly find myself slipping into "cross-examination mode". Yikes. Looks like I have some skills to work on, too, in prep for T starting real school.

Anyway, T's poorest areas are in "social skills". Gee, ya think? She's a 3 yr old for god's sake. Here are the areas she's "working on":

  • Can play simple group games by following directions
  • Shares toys on a regular basis
  • Takes turns on a regular basis sometimes letting another child go first
  • Uses words (instead of hands) when displeased with someone or something
  • Asks permission to use items belonging to other people

I ask you, what normal 3-yr old can actually do any of the above? I was shocked to see that they think she "can sit in a circle for 5 minutes"! She scored a "3" for that. Just how did she con them into thinking that? Moreoever, if she can do that at school, why can't she do it at home?

It truly is amazing to see your child through the eyes of others.

3 Brilliant Comment(s) from Friends:

Life with JJ, Starr and Spice said...

At Katie's preschool they have different letters for how the child is progressing. The highest letter is "C" for contantly and then comes "F" for frequently, then "O" for occasionally, then "D" for developing and then n/a. She got "C" on everything except for 4 skills out of 50; one of which was balancing on each foot. She got a "f". Now, I want to know how they differentiate between frequently and constantly in that area..ROFL!!

Bravo for your 5 minute sitting 3 year old!!

park it said...

I am so happy to see that I am not the only mother that plays MAMA BEAR - I am right there with you - in the "but she CAN do XYZ...would you like me to bring you video tape of her doing this??? Evidence - I should have gone into law... Congrats for all the things that Taylor excelled in -what will we do when they go to "real" school...

Itty Bitty Ladybug said...

Those 3 year old social skills? I'm 29 and I'm still working on those!

xoxo

A marvelous plan was made in the stars,
to create a miracle across the ocean so far....
Then entwine and weave all the hopes and labor,
it would take to bring us this joy called "Taylor"....
Now three lives are blessed and somewhere in the stars,
the planners are smiling, as we all are.
-Anon.




Taylor's Gal Pals

How Long We've Been a Family: