Welcome 2nd Grade!!

No more sleeping late for us! It's back to school time!

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Piece of Cake!!!


WE (or I should say "I") SURVIVED...barely!!!!!
(This pic has nothing to do with the post...its just her fav pj's from this morning...and a corn chip!)

We got to the school right on time, and it was NOTHING like I was anticipating. It wasn't a one-on-one appointment. Lots of people were there. There were tables lined up where all the families checked in. You had to provide a copy of their birth certificate and immunization forms. I was obsessing so much re the other forms, that I forgot the stupid medical forms.

Since I haven't gotten T's Florida Certificate of Foreign Birth yet, I brought every piece of paper I had. Her Chinese birth certificate, her adoption certificate, her citizenship papers, and other things. As I dealt with that, Dot sat with T to the side and actually met the principal, who sat and spoke with T for a while, administering an impromptu pop-quiz. After some confusion about the Chinese paperwork, T went in for her test.

Dot and I weren't allowed in with her. The teachers all said that our presence would distract her. So, Dot and I sat outside on pins and needles. I must admit that we were both tearing up some, at the slap-in-the-face-realization that our baby is starting school. How the hell did this happen so quickly????

T came out of the room with the teacher about 15 minutes later, who reported that she did extremely well. The teach said and I quote...."She really knows alot of things already". Music to my ears! As we were waiting, we saw another apparently-single mom with an Asian child. I'm bummed that this child looked to be going into Kindergarden, not Pre-K 4. I would have liked T and this little girl to be in the same class. I also saw another Asian family, who's daughter looked T's age. So I was thrilled.

Meanwhile, I had a HUGE scare. After the test we went into a meet and greet area, where I was speaking to a teacher and getting information on aftercare...the most important thing to me. They hand me a pamphlet, wherein it appeared to me that the cost of aftercare was 125.00 per week! WHAT! Aftercare tuition of 500 a month, which is more than the tuition for the regular school session????

I was ready to throw up at the thought of paying over 1,000.00 per month for school...before all the other costs and fees they hit you up for. That just wasn't in my budget. So, in my shocked state, I think I only 1/2 listened to whatever the lady was blabbing on about. I was doing calculations in my head...if we cut out all vacations and cut out all target and bookstore runs...if we cut out eating out...if I stop my deferred compensation...if I raise my dependents so that they take out less for income taxes...if i get a raise in november. My head was SPINNING!!

Literally, I was ready to cry...and throw up.

It took Dot and I like 10 minutes, reading over different sections of their assinine handout, to figure out that the rate is probably 125.00 per month. I'll be calling to confirm that on monday.

If I'm this stressed about her stupid elementary school, what the hell will I be like for high school and college??? Good lord.

So, its about 11:30 and we're back at home. I'm exhausted.

Oh yeah. The Priest?? No where to be found! This is looking like my kind of catholic school!

3 Brilliant Comment(s) from Friends:

Vicki said...

Oh I CAN relate -- being so totally organized for round one of getting SS# and not being able to get it. Had EVERY sheet of paper that ever pertained to Miss Emily's life, but she was too soon in country to process. One week later I go back. She can be processed. I left ALL the right papers at home. HELLO?! I'm with you. I feel it. Had to go back a 3rd time.
I'm doing the re-adopt in our state at the beginning of March. Attorney (you know...your buddies...LOL) said to wait til after 2nd post placement report. This attorney is a God-send. Doing for dimes b/c she is so appreciative of adoptive parents doing what they do. Now ain't that sweet?
Get you Hail Mary's down pat and get that girl enrolled in school. After all, she's a genius and we all know that.
Hugs from our territory w/really good weather going on today.
Vicki and Emily

Vicki said...

All the blah, blah, blah in my comment is about how you left your papers at home when registering/testing Missy School for school - just to clarify.

How does a redneck like me clarify all her chatter? Lordy....

Anonymous said...

Yes, that was sheer terror for a little while...what NO DISNEY!

What Carol didn't tell you is that while I was gettin in good with the Principal, the P was telling me about her Secretary's daughter who adopted from China 2 yrs ago. We're in like Flint!!!
That is, if we want to...

A marvelous plan was made in the stars,
to create a miracle across the ocean so far....
Then entwine and weave all the hopes and labor,
it would take to bring us this joy called "Taylor"....
Now three lives are blessed and somewhere in the stars,
the planners are smiling, as we all are.
-Anon.




Taylor's Gal Pals

How Long We've Been a Family: