Welcome 2nd Grade!!

No more sleeping late for us! It's back to school time!

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

We're Helping Haiti to Smile

At T's school, there has been a box set up all week, with flyers posted asking one to donate clothes, food, really anything ...to help out the poor country of Haiti, which has been so ravaged recently by various storms and hurricanes. As is usual, I'm usually too busy to really think about it as I go about my daily hassle. That's a shame.

Tonight on the news, they made an announcement about how Miami-Dade county and the City were taking up a collection to be flown out on Friday. They really need more food. I believe that the daycare's box is part of that collection, as the center has some affiliation with the county. Anyway, tonight on the news they showed footage from Haiti. Its deplorable. Its unimaginable. It showed how the army had to protect people, often children, from being mobbed after being handed a ration of food. Grown men and women so desparate and hungry for food, that they would rob a child of his share. Heartbreaking.

So, I got up off my overly-fed rearend that was sitting nice and safe in my newly hurricane-shuttered house, and decided to take a peek to see if I have anything to donate. What a load I found!! Lots of stuff that I've had for a while, will be expiring at the end of the year, that I know I will NEVER eat before then. A box of pancake mix, 2 huge jars of annoying hurricane peanutbutter, some pasta dishes, couscous and rice, veggies, even pedialyte. Its amazing. We will never, ever miss any of this stuff, and people in Haiti are literally willing to kill for it.

Once again the concept of Haiti is a little above T, but she's very excited to be giving these gifts.

"Mama, I give this to Haiti and she's gonna smile".

Yes, baby, she certainly will.

Posted by Picasa

2 Brilliant Comment(s) from Friends:

Life with JJ, Starr and Spice said...

Such a mitzvah is what we say in the Jewish faith and T is learning such valuable lessons from her wonderful mama.

Hugs

Tammie said...

I just started reading your blog tonight. This post is so touching. I think that it takes us becoming parents so we can realize how people feel trying to get just the basics for our own children.

This is one of the most valuable things we can teach our own children. In Hebrew it is called Tikkun Olam - repairing the injustices of the world.

A marvelous plan was made in the stars,
to create a miracle across the ocean so far....
Then entwine and weave all the hopes and labor,
it would take to bring us this joy called "Taylor"....
Now three lives are blessed and somewhere in the stars,
the planners are smiling, as we all are.
-Anon.




Taylor's Gal Pals

How Long We've Been a Family: