Welcome 2nd Grade!!

No more sleeping late for us! It's back to school time!

Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Land

This is what, in our family, we have always called "the land". It was almost like another member of the family. My dad would always want to go visit it...and go tromping through it despite nests of rattle snakes and his girls (my mom, me and dot) screaming at him not to do it. One time he actually drove a huge 1970's car into the thing, got stuck, and we had to find a tractor to push us out.

Here we are having a family picnic in 1965. I'm the baby, and Aunt dot is the toddler that you see. This is a photo of one of my scrapbook pages.

Whenever we went on family vacations, we had to visit "the land". We hated it. It was always hot and boring, and my dad would stay there FOREVER, while we were stuck roasting in the car waiting. My dad bought it in 1962 for about $5,000.00, and has held onto it ever since. Technically, its in Enterprise, Florida. Its about 16 acres, almost 4 of which are in the lake. I'd forgotten how beautiful it is. The dirt rode that we used to travel on to get to is is now a paved highway. There's even a publix down the street.


We were just in Deland (a nearby bigger town, home of Stetson College), completing the negotiations for the sale of it. The time
had come. My parents are in their 80's, don't need to continue paying taxes on it, and need to start liquifying their assets. Anyway, closing will be November 18. After coming to an agreement, we had to go look at it one last time and take a some pictures.

So, since it has been a member of the family for so long, I thought I'd post a picture of it on the old blog, for T to see some day, as I'm sure she'll grow up hearing stories about it. Hmmm, maybe I'll hunt up some old pictures of us stuck there, and post them here.

Adieu fair Land, fare thee well.

1 Brilliant Comment(s) from Friends:

chart said...

Joe Hart and I made a trip with you all way back in 1963-64 to check out "The Land". There was an old rotting wooden house of some sort that we thought was full of snakes but we braved our fears and went to explore it hoping to find untold treasures. Needless to say we were anxious to get back to the travel trailer for sandwiches, etc. HAPPY TIMES.

A marvelous plan was made in the stars,
to create a miracle across the ocean so far....
Then entwine and weave all the hopes and labor,
it would take to bring us this joy called "Taylor"....
Now three lives are blessed and somewhere in the stars,
the planners are smiling, as we all are.
-Anon.




Taylor's Gal Pals

How Long We've Been a Family: