Welcome 2nd Grade!!

No more sleeping late for us! It's back to school time!

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Shitty Day

Courtesy of Ike, its a pretty shitty day here today. Lots of wind and rain. Luckily, its the Tropical storm type that comes in s flash, pours almost horizontal, and is gone in about 5 - 10 minutes...only to return.

I'm off today. My followup with my gyno re the pain and fibroids revealed that there is no reason on earth for a 2 cm fibroid to cause this pain. The ER got it wrong. I'm off again today for another "pelvic sonogram".

All I can say is Thank god my friend Marie was with me in the ER, when they mentioned my having one for the first time. She's given birth to 2 babies, and clued me in as to what exactly was involved. For those of you in the dark as to what I'm referring, lets just say that a large white plastic wand and lots of gel is involved, which is inserted inside you. No, it does not vibrate. I asked :(. Marie's advice was just lay back and enjoy. Of course, that was difficult to do, given that I was lying on a gurney with some nurse and a strange male wielding the wand. Me, apparently not up on pelvic sonogram ettiquette, nearly fell out of the damn gurney when he asked, "Would you like to insert it yourself?" WHAT???? Uh, nooooo, was he out of his mind? I just had to laugh.

So, my gyno said that the pain could be a ruptured cyst "or something else". She never did define exactly what the "something else" could be, and I didn't ask. She said no need to go over what it could be, when its so easy to find out what it is. That sounded good to me. I figure that the alternatives to the cyst can't be good. So, I'm off to have another test, at a place that specializes in just pelvic sonograms. Apparently the test is only as good as the radiologist reading it, and the hacks at the ER apparently aren't that experienced in the girlie diagnosis's (how does one make that word plural?...diagnosices?) to be reliable. nice.

Anyway, that's my big day. At least I scored a day off.

UPDATE: They didn't find anything in this eval. either. They think that it was me ovulating. Huh? For four days? Who ovulates for four days? When I queried why I've never felt anything like that before.....their responese? Our bodies change over the years. OK, did they just call me old?

Here's a science lesson...apparently your egg is in some kind of cyst-like pouch, and it explodes out every month. Hence, ovulation. They think that's what I felt. So, I'll go back and consult my gyno with this result, and see if it could be some other thing or if she concurs that its nothing. While its frustrating that I feel that I didn't really get any answers today, I guess no answer is better than some of the alternative answers. I wish I'd just go through menopause, and get it all over already. With my luck, though, I'd start growing a mustache and beard.

As Roseanna Roseannadanna used to say, "It's always something".

2 Brilliant Comment(s) from Friends:

RamblingMother said...

hope you feel better!!

Manette said...

wow... wish my gyno would offer the "wand" to me for self incertion; that or he could learn to use some finess: he's rough! :(

i feel for you, though. i'm dealing with the same types of issues. i regularly have sharp pains during the middle of my cycles (and i tend not to ovulate). the pain is far worse when i do ovulate, i can tell you that.

anyway... i'm off to surgery on the 18th to have a really large polyp removed from my right ovary. maybe that will reduce some of the pain. the things we women must endure!!! i completely understand why you had a "shitty day"!

hugs,
M

A marvelous plan was made in the stars,
to create a miracle across the ocean so far....
Then entwine and weave all the hopes and labor,
it would take to bring us this joy called "Taylor"....
Now three lives are blessed and somewhere in the stars,
the planners are smiling, as we all are.
-Anon.




Taylor's Gal Pals

How Long We've Been a Family: