Welcome 2nd Grade!!

No more sleeping late for us! It's back to school time!

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Its Official...I Don't Just Disagree...I Hate Him

During the Dem Natl Convention coverage, Keith Olberman made an oblique reference to a vile joke that McCain made about Chelsea Clinton in the past. Huh? What's that?? I'd never heard this, and I'm fairly news-savvy. As my inquiring mind wanted to know, I googled it.

Now please realize, while I am a dyed-blue democrat, in years past I somewhat admired McCain. I could overlook how the only reason he got in and then stayed in the airforce (despite crashing a number of planes that would put anyone else out on their ear and being a general fuck up and near-failure on his academy tests) was based upon his Daddy the Admiral and Granddaddy, another war hero. I could give him a pass on his early debacle of a military career due to his 7 years buried in a Viet Nam hole. Plus, that was a lifetime ago. Despite his and his wife's frozen botox-filled faces, he can't really hid the fact that he's old as the hills.

I knew nothing of his personal life or the man himself. At least in years past, he didn't spout the hardcore Republican garbage about exclusionary "moral values" or otherwise seem to have a desire to single-handedly dismantle our nation's constitution (unlike the current administration has attempted and done). McCain seemed more independent. I liked that. Felt bad about how he lost a key primary against... I think Bush1 or was it 2?, when Rove and crew put out that he had an illigitamate baby and brace yourselves, she was black. Um, no. He and his wife adopted a child from India. That didn't make it into the press in time to save the primary.

However, the McCain today is not the same man of years past. Even putting aside (1) his total caving to the "Republican Machine" and their positions, (2) his embracing of the Bush/Cheney policies (3) his total lack of insight re the Economy... (4) the fact that I believe he has a serious ethical problem due to that lobbyist, whether he had an affair or not! All that just made me disagree with him and not support him this year. While I disagreed with him, he seemed like a fairly decent man.

However, I now HATE HIM after googling this "Joke" that was generally suppressed by mainstream media, I hope out of respect for young Chelsea vs. as giving McCain a pass. What surprised me was that he made the joke in public while addressing attendees at a republican fundraiser in 1998 about Chelsea Clinton...the then first daughter. These comments were not made in private, which would be bad enough. No, in McCain's judgment, this joke was appropriate to make publicly...I think Chelsea was about 16 or 17 at the time. He later apologized to the Clintons. Sorry, too little too late.

Well, after googling the joke, I've learned that it also denigrated the reputation of Janet Reno, my first boss. A person I personally know, have worked with, and hold in the highest esteem. It was a personal joke, not one based upon Ms. Reno's public acts as either State Attorney or US Attorney General, which while I may disagree, recognize would be fair game if one felt the need to make such a "joke". When put into the context of the time and manner McCain's joke was uttered, its reprehensible. I think it speaks volumes about who McCain "the man" is and what McCain is all about.

I refuse to type the joke here. Google it if your interested , or click the link: http://www.salon.com/news/1998/06/25newsb.html. If you hold this man in any regard, your eyes will be opened.

Meanwhile, what am I doing up at 3:30 - 6:00 a.m. in the morning? I've been up all night as I have a stabbing pain well-below and to the right of my bellybutton. Started at work this afternoon. don't know what it is...bad tsatziki from lunch, appendix, ovaries, gas, who knows. If it keeps up, I may need to go to the urgent care center to figure it out. I think that I've eliminated the appendix, though, which was my big fear. Pain doesn't seem to be in the right place for that.

1 Brilliant Comment(s) from Friends:

Laura said...

What an a-hole!!!!! Thanks for sharing the link.
More importantly, I hope you feel better!

A marvelous plan was made in the stars,
to create a miracle across the ocean so far....
Then entwine and weave all the hopes and labor,
it would take to bring us this joy called "Taylor"....
Now three lives are blessed and somewhere in the stars,
the planners are smiling, as we all are.
-Anon.




Taylor's Gal Pals

How Long We've Been a Family: