Welcome 2nd Grade!!

No more sleeping late for us! It's back to school time!

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Where to begin?

As T's most loyal of readers may have noticed, I've been a bit too busy to blog.
I have been staying here all last week and this weekend, keeping an eye on my dad. Its a good thing, too. I've intercepted at least 4 telephone calls from my mom, asking to come home. I lied through my teeth to her, and told her that my father was asleep. Had to. He would get upset, and try to go and get her and break her out of the place. I'm sure that the police would be called, and he'd either be hauled off to jail for disorderly conduct or involuntarily committed... one or the other. Finally, after about 5 requests, I believe that the phone is out of her room.

On an upnote...my mom seems much healthier and continues to improve. They are giving her an appetite stimulant, which is making her eat more. She seemed much more alert and "with it" when I saw her yesterday. She can now walk 120 feet with minimal assistance with a wheeled walker. I said that the kitchen will be done just in time, b/c she's being discharged this Thursday afternoon.

Then the fun starts.

She will be transported home and the transporters will get her up the 5 steps into the house. She'll come home with a wheelchair, a wheeled walker, and one of those portable toilet things. We're debating the efficacy of a hospital bed. The toilet thing is handy b/c one can place it by her bed to use at night. Or, remove the bucket and place it over one's toilet, thereby giving the toilet handles. One can also use it without the bucket in the shower for bathing. Anyway, they will send someone to the house 4 times a week to assist with bathing, as she can not do it for herself. They will also send a physical therapist to the house 3 times a week, to try and continue her progress.

Needless to say, we need help in the house for them both. My sissy and I can't do it all, and neither can my dad, as much as he hates to admit it. We got lucky. We have found live in help. She'll be here monday through friday and sleep here. Dot and I will be on duty saturday and sunday. Her name is Donna. She took care of Dot's boss's Aunt for nine years. Poor aunt hildy died at 101 about 3 weeks ago, so Donna is looking for a new position. Of course, we'll have to lie through our teeth to my father about the cost, and make up the difference ourselves between me and Dot. I can hear him now..."What am I paying her so much for, all she does is sit around and watch TV". Oy.

I think he's in denial about what my mom's physical state will be. We're selling the idea of Donna to him, saying that its only for the first few months as we see how mobile my mom is and all adjust to it. I've told him that there is no more going out to eat every night for dinner like they used to. First of all, the cafeteria closed. Second, he can't get my mom in and out of the house, even if we did have ramps. So, Donna will be cooking healthy meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Hopefully that will keep my mom from losing more weight.

Pray that Donna works out.

Taylor has been so good throughout this whole ordeal. I've missed her terribly, but we'll be back together soon. I happen to know of at least one time wherein she conned aunt dotty into going to toys are us. Frankly, I don't think she had to work too hard to score. Like me, she's got Dotty firmly wrapped around her little fingers.

Night all!

2 Brilliant Comment(s) from Friends:

Laura said...

You poor thing. Hugs to you and Dot and sending good thoughts to your whole family! What an ordeal this is.

chart said...

Hi U 3........I am totally blown away and can't find the words to tell you my feelings at this time, maybe later when my mind clears a little. In the meantime, I pray for all. Love.....xox

A marvelous plan was made in the stars,
to create a miracle across the ocean so far....
Then entwine and weave all the hopes and labor,
it would take to bring us this joy called "Taylor"....
Now three lives are blessed and somewhere in the stars,
the planners are smiling, as we all are.
-Anon.




Taylor's Gal Pals

How Long We've Been a Family: