Welcome 2nd Grade!!

No more sleeping late for us! It's back to school time!

Friday, January 22, 2010

A Slow Recovery

Both my mother and I continue to improve. I love this new hospital. They have someone with my mom 24 hours a day...aka a sitter...b/c they are afraid that she'll try and get out of bed, thereby potentially falling again and reinjuring herself. There is a big staffing meeting today, where all the various therapists and doctors working on her case get together to discuss her progress, her goals, how long she'll be there, etc.

They dress her everyday. At night they dress her in a nightgown. No hospital gowns any more! I figure that makes a person feel human again.
Her memory is still an issue, but I was able to make a 20 x 30 inch collage of photos from her hospital stay at costco, and put the following on it:

"You fell at home, broke your hip, and had surgery. You can come home as soon as you walk better. Love Thomas"

We're going to adhere it onto a stiff cardboard poster, and put it in her room so she can see it. It has all the pictures from when she was in the hospital.

I have a handy man at their house, installing grab bars around the house, a handheld shower nozzle on a vertical bar so that it can be lowered in their shower, putting on levered door knobs, and widening their bathroom door.

As for me, I continue to recover. I can now stand up straight and I can walk slowly with the help of my mom's walker, which we snitched from their house. I can also sit up in a chair for a few hours. I'm resting again today, and then will venture out tomorrow, with Dot driving and with the help of the walker.

Tomorrow, I have the bug man coming to their house for the first time, a mattress set to be delivered so that I can sleep there, and we need to go to the kitchen store to finalize a plan for the kitchen.

So, things are finally looking up!

Posted by Picasa

2 Brilliant Comment(s) from Friends:

Wanda said...

Your strength and resilience as well as your positive attitude is inspiring.

Take care and enjoy your week-end.

chart said...

Wanda said it better than I could. So true. xxooxx

A marvelous plan was made in the stars,
to create a miracle across the ocean so far....
Then entwine and weave all the hopes and labor,
it would take to bring us this joy called "Taylor"....
Now three lives are blessed and somewhere in the stars,
the planners are smiling, as we all are.
-Anon.




Taylor's Gal Pals

How Long We've Been a Family: