Welcome 2nd Grade!!

No more sleeping late for us! It's back to school time!

Sunday, January 17, 2010

My Life is Upside-Down

My mother continues to recover, but unfortunately the hospital that she is in is a literal hellhole, especially during the night shift. Dot stayed there 2 nights, but then we hired a nursed aid to sit with her from 7:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.

While my mother remembers us all, she doesn't remember that she broke her hip, that she had surgery, nor that she's in the hospital. Every few minutes its a chorus of "Let's go home". Either tomorrow or Tuesday, she'll be transferred to Villa Maria, which is a rehab facility.

Rehab is the key to everything. If things go really, really well, she'll be able to walk again with a walker. I suspect that won't happen. I'm praying that she rehabs enough to at least be able to stand and transfer, from bed to wheelchair, wheelchair to toilet, etc.

So, I'm also trying to get their house in order in anticipation of her return home. Doors need to be widened to 36 inches, the kitchen needs to be redone. More railings installed, ramps, etc. If things don't go well at rehab, then we'll have to enlarge their bathroom so that she could be wheeled into the shower. That's major construction. Oy. Lots to consider. Before she comes home, I want the carpets steam cleaned and the house tented.

So, I'm coping with it all by just concentrating on the next step. I cleaned out some of their closets today, and also her bureau drawers. We're set to widen the doors this coming week, and begin finalizing the plan for the kitchen. I can't control how she'll do in rehab much, so I'm refusing to worry about it.

Meanwhile, I'm so, so thankful to all my friends for their help with T. I couldn't do this without them.

3 Brilliant Comment(s) from Friends:

chart said...

You and Dorothy are Angels in disquise. So much to be done. I'm beginning to believe that anyone who can dispose of 21 church pews can conquer most anything. I'd be going crazy. xxoxx

Wanda said...

Oh my...your hands are full. I hope everything goes as smoothly as possible for you. I like your plan - one step at a time.

Take care.

Laura said...

Thinking of you! Becoming the caretaker is hard. We went through a lot of this with my grandma several years ago. You're doing great - being prepared for the worst is the best way to go. Thinking of you and sending good vibes your way.

A marvelous plan was made in the stars,
to create a miracle across the ocean so far....
Then entwine and weave all the hopes and labor,
it would take to bring us this joy called "Taylor"....
Now three lives are blessed and somewhere in the stars,
the planners are smiling, as we all are.
-Anon.




Taylor's Gal Pals

How Long We've Been a Family: