Welcome 2nd Grade!!

No more sleeping late for us! It's back to school time!

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Tis the Season to be Jolly...

Guess what we did this weekend? yes, yes, besides trick or treating, campaigning and pixie watching...That's right, we put up the xmas trees! (recall I have two little four-foot numbers that look as fake as fake can be) I'm very excited. Xmas is in the stores, the malls are getting decorated, and I saw my first xmas-themed commercial on TV last night. I figure that 's a sign. Let the decorating begin! Plus, I hate pulling everything out, going to all the trouble of decorating, only to have to take all the crap down in less than a month.



Growing up, we always put our tree up after Thanksgiving. Again, it was a fake tree bought at the Golden Triangle (long since out of business). After about 15 yrs or so, it was looking like quite the pathetic charlie brown xmas tree, but we'd religiously decorate it every year. Anyway, I always thought that a post-thanksgiving tree erection was too long to wait as a child. What's worse, the people who lived behind us, put their tree up on xmas eve (they always had a real one). Now that sucks. Every year they kept to their tradition.


Who knows, they were transplants from up north. maybe that's what they do up there, since they have seasons and just the fact that there's cold and snow around makes it "feel like xmas" ...at least to us down here. The north doesn't have to go to the lengths we do, to achieve a little xmas spirit. Those towns up north look like Hallmark Xmas Cards without even trying. Us, not so much. Down here in this swamp of a state that we live in , we have to artificially create our winter wonderland. Even to the point of Cities hauling out fake snow machines for kids to play in ...for about 15 minutes as the "snow" melts into a big fat mud puddle in the close-to-90 degree heat. Bonus though, is that when you're xmas trees are fake, you don't have to worry about them drying out and burning the house down.



So, Ho,Ho,Ho everybody....Merry Christmas!

9 Brilliant Comment(s) from Friends:

KaraP said...

Okay, way TOO early for a Christmas tree. I almost threw up yesterday at the Hair Salon. One of the radio stations has started the Christmas music already. I am of the mindset that each holiday deserves it's own time. Just me, but hey.

park it said...

Good God Woman - let it go - step away from the tree - put down the lights - and no tinsel for you - OY Vey...and I am not Jewish -
I think I will wait until the day after T'giving - to crawl in the attic - heave down the tree and all the bins of STUFF - oh yea I bought those lighted raindeer last yr after xmas sale - so put those out - but I am not getting on a ladder for lights on the house - no way - no sir! Baa Humbug so early !!!

Brownie Troop 157 said...

In my defense...My compromise is that I'm not decorating outside until around thanksgiving. No need to advertise to the world that I'm literally crazy about xmas! I'm limiting advertising my lunacy to close friends and family who visit, and my blogger friends. HeHe.

Dorothy said...

Don't forget me...I leave again for the Philippines on 12/01 and returning 12/19. I have to get my tree vibe going on now. I'm putting mine up today to so I can sit in the dark with the tree turned on for the next 3 weeks. Upon my return, I'll have exactly 4days to get all my shopping in before the big day. Friends and family be warned, I don't know what you'll be getting.

KaraP said...

Dot and Carol, y'all are nuts. I understand Dot, but Carol?? Mine won't go up until we are back from Ohio the weekend after Thanksgiving.

Dorothy said...

All I can say is learn to let loose and live a little. Who cares about a calendar.
Grab fun whereever you can find it.

Laura said...

I will not judge! If you enjoy it, have at it. I agree with Kara though - the Christmas music on the radio stations is way too much! Also, Carol...you have a very idealized view of the snow and "Winter Wonderland" up north - after my first year back in the midwest, I'm more than willing to go back to mild weather and fake snow. If you can't go look at lights or make it to Christmas eve candlelight service because the roads are too snowy, you're living in the wrong place! Enjoy 2 months of holiday bliss!

chart said...

I agree with Dorothy - Grab it while you can. Ever heard of Xmas in July, Carol????

Single PAP said...

woah, way early but you're right after thanksgiving isn't enough time. hmmm.. maybe the week before thanksgiving is a happy compromise? although, frankly my family is way slow and we usually don't get the tree up until mid december. but the Xmas shopping early...now THAT i can get with! i think i will try to do some this weekend.

A marvelous plan was made in the stars,
to create a miracle across the ocean so far....
Then entwine and weave all the hopes and labor,
it would take to bring us this joy called "Taylor"....
Now three lives are blessed and somewhere in the stars,
the planners are smiling, as we all are.
-Anon.




Taylor's Gal Pals

How Long We've Been a Family: