Welcome 2nd Grade!!

No more sleeping late for us! It's back to school time!

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Potty Issues

Its funny how fast T changes. As you all know, for the longest time T didn't want to go to the movies or to sit on santas lap. Suddenly last week, she loves it. When T was really young, one of her favorite things to eat was the olive dip at Nordstroms. She'd eat it to the point that her whole face and shirt would be covered with the stuff...despite wearing a bib! Last night, she dipped a french fry in it, took a bite, and for the first time....started blowing raspberries saying over and over, "I don't like that". She wouldn't touch the stuff for the rest of the meal. These things I can deal with. However, there were bigger changes this week....

T has been potty trained for quite a while now. At night however, I have always put a pull-up on her, b/c there's no telling when she'll sneak into my bed, and every once in a while she has an accident. Not often, but maybe once every two or three weeks.

This last week? She's woken up for four days straight with a sopping pull up. I thought that maybe she'd gotten lazy and is taking the easy way out, so the last 2 nights, I had her in panties. Both nights, she's wet the bed. Poor thing, she comes into my room between 3:00 and 4:00 a.m., sopping wet.

Last night, we had a long talk before she went to bed, and I even left the bathroom light on, thinking maybe she didn't want to go in
the dark. She seemed to understand, but right on cue at about 3:30 a.m., she was in my room. What's worse, this time she was crying, poor baby. Now, as you can see, she's sleeping in my bed. I love when she sleeps like this. She doesn't do it too often. It so reminds me of when she was a little baby!

So, now I'm wondering if I've screwed myself by keeping her in the pull up to the point where she thinks its OK to go in it during the night?

Should I continue the pull up, or continue letting her wet the bed?

Maybe I should find those special pull ups that supposedly feel really wet and uncomfortable if she goes in them?

Any advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated! Please recall that I'm a single mom with absolutely NO EXPERIENCE raising a kid. Further, the last baby in our family was my cousin Erin...who was born in 1970! Please feel free to comment AT LENGTH!

HHHHEEEELLLLLPPP!

6 Brilliant Comment(s) from Friends:

KaraP said...

I would love to have some BRILLIANT gem for you....but ML still isn't potty-trained and it is one hell of a battle in this house. She can't go to pre-school until she is, and pre-school starts in 4 weeks. CRAP!!! We've been fighting this battle for 8 months. I'm tired of it.

Kara

Brownie Troop 157 said...

Kara,

Unfortunately, I have no advice for you. I thank god that the daycare pretty much potty trained T. All I had to do was reinforce their hard work at home. M&Ms were the perfect bribe.

My friend Marie was in your same position. No preschool unless potty trained. Sophie refused, until just one day, decided she'd do it...i think a week before school started. Marie was going out of her mind. Good luck, we'll be thinking of you.

Carol and T

Manette said...

Here are a couple of ideas (the second one is the hardest plan, though)...

Take T potty before you go to bed (we still take C potty every night or she wets the bed and she's 5-1/2).

Set your alarm for 2:30 or even 3:00 to get u pto take her potty. It may take a few months of doing this in order for it to finally work, but she may get it better that way.

Good luck... C still has issues, so don't take it from me! ;)

Itty Bitty Ladybug said...

Here are some more ideas. Good luck - it seems like it's the proverbial two steps forward and one step back.

Check to make sure you have a night light in the hall and bathroom so she is not afraid to go into either one.

Look for the Good Night pull ups - they seem to hold a bit more. With all of mine it seems like they had really full pull ups at night for a few weeks before they stopped wetting the bed.

Limit her liquid intake a couple of hours before bed. Just a sip of water after brushing her teeth (good luck with that one!).

Sleep walk her to the potty before you go to bed.

I would hesitate to let her keep on wetting the bed - especially if she is upset about it. If you can find the crib size lap pads you had when she was a baby, you could try putting them on top of her bottom sheet to protect the bedding and mattress.

Anyway, that's all I can think of for now!

Life with JJ, Starr and Spice said...

At this age it is truly two step forward and one step back especially in this area. It is perfectly normal for T to not be able to make it through the night without wetting. I would not worry until she is between 4 and 5 and if she is still having accidents then you may want to look into it further.

Katie and Ethan are both still having accidents at night every two or three weeks well so I have them in pull ups as well. I remember Justin still had a couple of accidents here and there at that age and by four is was all over. Don't worry about it yet. It is a non issue.

BTW, you are a great mom and I love reading about Taylor :)

Laura said...

We're still battling w/that with Sara - it does seem like schedule changes (like swimming lessons!) impact her bedtime potty issues too. We're limiting liquids and I'm taking her right before I go and trying to get up early to take her right away. Some days it works, some days it doesn't. BTW, Sara sleeps w/her butt in the air like that occasionally too. I love it!!!

A marvelous plan was made in the stars,
to create a miracle across the ocean so far....
Then entwine and weave all the hopes and labor,
it would take to bring us this joy called "Taylor"....
Now three lives are blessed and somewhere in the stars,
the planners are smiling, as we all are.
-Anon.




Taylor's Gal Pals

How Long We've Been a Family: