Welcome 2nd Grade!!

No more sleeping late for us! It's back to school time!

Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Dangers of Swim Class

Today, I took Leonor over to Dot's house to clean. You may recall Aunt Dot is suffering from a broken arm, and will be casted up for another 5 weeks or so. She pretty much gets daily lectures from me, about how she's not resting her arm...which is necessary to have it heal properly and to reduce pain. Like everyone else in my life, Dot pretty much ignores my lectures. She did, though, realize she needed some help with heavy cleaning, and I took Leonor over to assist.

T and I took advantage of th opportunity to get in some pool time at Dot's great pool. Unfortunately, there are no pics from the day, as I forgot my camera. It was a perfect pic day, too. Dot was confined to a lounger, similar to how I was confined to the pool deck on our last Disney trip and could have gotten some great shots. Ah well.

Meanwhile, let me dwell for a moment on the dangers of swim class. Remember the old adage: A little knowledge is a dangerous thing? That fairly accurately describes my life at the momment. T believes she knows how to swim. In fact, she'll tell you that quite emphatically, if asked. She even makes impromptu public service announcements about it...just in case anyone in the grocery store, the restaurant, or Nordstroms is wondering. Problem is, she's only 1/2 right.

T can push off from somewhere and swim about 6 feet, or whatever distance it is that she can hold her breath. Then, its all over. May DAy...May Day....! T can't yet take another breath and she sinks like stone. We're still majorly working on those skills. No matter, though, who needs to breath in the pool?

After our two swim class lessons (the other 3 cancelled due to rain), T has totally lost her fear of the water, and jumps right in from the deck. She swims to me, turns around, swims to the wall, climbs out, and does it all over again. Over. And over. And over. After about 20 minutes of frenzied swimming, she sat on the steps, and implored me to sit with her...which I did. I figured she was resting. Silly me.

I'm sitting right next to her, and she gets up. Dummy me thinks she is just going to play on the steps. Nope. The kid from a step or two down, launches herself out into the great blue yonder and starts swimming away...with me still sitting on the step! I lose my mind and go tearing after her, and catch her before she gets into trouble, i.e. needs to take a breath. Well, you can imagine the lecture that she received after that. Unfortunately, my lectures really don't make too much of an impression on her. She suffers through them with the panache of a sixteen year old. I swear if the kid knew how to roll her eyes in her head, she would. So, with an obligatory, "OK mama, Sorry Mama", she was off swimming again.

As I said, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

1 Brilliant Comment(s) from Friends:

park it said...

Ah the sinking like a stone - I know that look - I also know the puke the pool water and anything eaten over 3 hours before said swim time..and 2 seconds later - Im ok mama - I want to swim...

Have a great weekend
c -

A marvelous plan was made in the stars,
to create a miracle across the ocean so far....
Then entwine and weave all the hopes and labor,
it would take to bring us this joy called "Taylor"....
Now three lives are blessed and somewhere in the stars,
the planners are smiling, as we all are.
-Anon.




Taylor's Gal Pals

How Long We've Been a Family: