Welcome 2nd Grade!!

No more sleeping late for us! It's back to school time!

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Role Playing

Hot on the heels of the bad report from school, we spent the evening last night role playing. T and I would switch off the two roles:

"Kid bothering T" and "T who doesn't hit"

I then had T repeat over and over the following:

1. Please do not touch me

...if the kid keeps it up, she's to resort to an order

2. Don't touch me

....if the kid keeps it up, she's to employ a threat

3. Stop touching me or i'll tell the teacher

...if it continues, she's to raise her hand and wait for the teacher to acknowledge her, and tattle on the little culprit.

Since it sounds to me that the child was just touching T's forearm to get her attention, I suspect T will never have to get past #1. My impression from a month of walking through the playground area are that these kids at this school are basically really good kids, so we'll see.

Unfortunately, Mrs. M wasn't at aftercare today, so I have no reliable reports of how T did today. T reports that she was a good girl, and used her words with Rene. When asked what she said to him, she replied that she told him to "keep you hands to yourself" and he stopped. Hmm, those words weren't in our script, but appear to have worked just as well. Bravo for T!

On the other hand, whether any of this story that she described is true or not remains to be seen. However, like any good parent, I choose to ignore my doubts and believe her until I can get a report in the morning. So, t is happily watching TV tonight. If there's a good report tomorrow, she'll get to watch movies. A third good report will gain her computer access.

1 Brilliant Comment(s) from Friends:

Laura said...

It's rough at times, isn't it? Sara has become "the informant" on a regular basis and tattles ALL the time. But if she hits or in her case, gives one hell of a hard push to get people away from her, I encourage her to tattle. But then the next day, I'm trying to teach her not to tattle all the time. What to do, what to do.

A marvelous plan was made in the stars,
to create a miracle across the ocean so far....
Then entwine and weave all the hopes and labor,
it would take to bring us this joy called "Taylor"....
Now three lives are blessed and somewhere in the stars,
the planners are smiling, as we all are.
-Anon.




Taylor's Gal Pals

How Long We've Been a Family: