Welcome 2nd Grade!!

No more sleeping late for us! It's back to school time!

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Happy Grandparents' Day

We woke up bright and early, and headed over to my parent's house again for a few reasons. The biggest was that I needed to finish helping my dad gather information on that probate case he's involved in. I'm happy to say mission accomplished. Now we just need to supplement the info with his memories...a bit harder of a task.

Anyway, since Dot was flying home from Tx today, it was me and T. I knew that if I had any chance whatsoever of getting anything done at my parents' house, I'd have to distract T with TV or movies. Problem is, there was no TV downstairs where I was on the computer.

So, off to Target we went, and I bought a new TV for grandparents day. Totally selfish gift, as they rarely spend any time downstairs...despite the fact that I set it up as a home office for my dad. In reality, I use it quite a bit. Anyway, my excuse was a gift for grandparent's day.

I also sneakily suspected that my dad would not want me spending money on them, and would give me a check for the cost. As usual when dealing with them, I lied through my teeth regarding the total cost, since I also purchased a new antenna, a warranty they suckered me into, and a cable. My crazy dad thinks everything should cost what it did in 1960, so its just easier on me if I undervalue everything. Anyway, I'll now take the TV money that he gave me, and buy them something else I think they need, for which he'll reimburse me, and the cycle will continue. Seems that's the only way I get anything done over there, as they won't do it themselves.

As I suspected, my dad really didn't remember our conversation from last night re the water heater. Therefore, I took the opportunity to just announce that I was having the serviceman come out. If "its just the pilot light", as my dad contends...the man will fix it, properly flue the exhaust, and bill us by the hour. However if there is something wrong with the thing that's bigger, like I suspect, since the damn light has never gone out in over 30 years, then I'll have them install a new one. He can either be billed monthly via their program, or pay the whole thing. I really don't care. So, it will be very interesting what will happen on Monday. Of course, I'll have to take more time off work to pull this off, but we do what we have to, right? I refuse to allow my mother to have to take cold showers any longer. So, that's progress in my book.

Meanwhile, Dot made it in, and took T off mid afternoon, to allow me to finish. She'll be here tomorrow as well, but flies back to Tx on Monday. T reports that she had a fab time at the grandparents house. She was very busy all day playing with all the office supplies while watching DVDs. Also, she was able to give my parents the cards she made at school, in anticipation of this event. Frankly, we were all surprised that there even is a grandparents' day. Neither my parents, nor me had ever heard of it. Despite that, they LOVED the cards.

0 Brilliant Comment(s) from Friends:

A marvelous plan was made in the stars,
to create a miracle across the ocean so far....
Then entwine and weave all the hopes and labor,
it would take to bring us this joy called "Taylor"....
Now three lives are blessed and somewhere in the stars,
the planners are smiling, as we all are.
-Anon.




Taylor's Gal Pals

How Long We've Been a Family: