Welcome 2nd Grade!!

No more sleeping late for us! It's back to school time!

Thursday, April 12, 2012

30 minutes in Hell

Since I was unable to get my hands on Xanax, this is my form of self medication the day after my 30 minutes in hell.   As many of you surmized, T and I got separated at the mall.   It happened in a frickin' instant. And it was all my fault.  I was certain that she came in GapKi ds with me.  Apparently she didn't she continued walking.   By the time I turned around and couldn't find her, then started yelling in the store...which is annoyingly connected to 2 other stores...GapBabie and the adult Gap, she was nowhere to be found.   I go run out into the mall and nada.  

Every frickin capital sex batt case I ever handled or know of, every kidnapping and agg child abuse I ever had, followed up by poor Adam Walsh and all the other milk cartan kids went flashing across my mind.  I wanted to throw up.  I was so certain that T had come into the store w me and I know that she would never, ever leave the store without me.    I started demanding that the employees call store security...who failed to respond or answer to which they said call the police.

Suffice it to say that a 911 call later, me walking through the mall screaming her name, and a platoon of concerned young women and moms later,  T was recovered at guest services.  As I was walking like a maniac through the mall screaming her name (and anyone who knows me know just how loud I can be), a young woman in her early 20's came up to me and said she saw T at the other end of the mall and took her to guest services.   As I sat there with T waiting for the deputy to respond, a few good samaritan women came up and said that they were scouring the mall and had asked others to as well.  A side effect of my job is that I forget how many really nice people there are in the world.  Meanwhile, why was it only the women who came up to me?  Where the hell were any of the men? ...but I digress

Anyway, We go to guest services, I see T from afar, and start bawling my eyes out. 

T reports that when she couldn't find me, she said she started walking around trying to find me.   Suffice it to say, we're having all sorts of conversations around here about mall safety and what to do if we get separated.  

My nerves were literally shocked for the rest of the night, and even the whole rest of the day.  I had to laugh b/c as we were driving home, a song was playing on the radio..."What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" so similar lyrics.   I disagree.   What doesn't kill you, shatters your nerves and drives you to the brink of insanity.  

We basically stayed home wednesday as well, since we had T's 7 yr old wellness visit with the doc.   T is officially 47.5 inches and 45 pounds.  and healthy as a horse, so I'm busy counting my blessings.

5 Brilliant Comment(s) from Friends:

park it said...

thank God - all is ok - I know that panic - and I was in one store - can't imagine the Mall !
Carol

Anonymous said...

Carol, sorry for your day. I can only imagine. For the men not answering, they are In a darned if you do or don't, I think, because people always assume they are pedophiles. Shame on the store for not being more proactive, though. The good part is. You and T survived to tell your story, and yes, what doesn't kill you does make you stronger. You are a great mother. Try to finish your spring break on a high note. Do something fun tomorrow. Love to all. kathie

Anonymous said...

I am so, so sorry. A strong cocktail may not be enough! That kind of experience is beyond horrible and could easily happen to anyone. I am grateful for all of the kind people who helped you find Taylor.

xoxo
Cecilia

Aunt Connie said...

What a terrifying experience. I'm so very, very, grateful and happy that all turned out well. Good to have the "lost" talk. Hopefully this will never happen again. Love to all 5.
PS - I'll put my slingshot away.

Laura said...

Oh my Gawd.....Sara and I had a short conversation about never leaving Target or a store without me and THAT made her cry, now have to try to educate about the mall. You poor thing....and yes, it could happen to anyone and does. Glad all is well.

A marvelous plan was made in the stars,
to create a miracle across the ocean so far....
Then entwine and weave all the hopes and labor,
it would take to bring us this joy called "Taylor"....
Now three lives are blessed and somewhere in the stars,
the planners are smiling, as we all are.
-Anon.




Taylor's Gal Pals

How Long We've Been a Family: