Welcome 2nd Grade!!

No more sleeping late for us! It's back to school time!

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Still Here

We're still here. Dad was still at Mt. Sinai for observation and regulating meds through thursday, when I got a call out of the blue telling me that he was discharged and going off to a nursing home/rehab facility for rehabilitation.

I lost my mind. No one told me abount this. No one asked me for input into the facility. No medical person had yet to tell me what my dad's diagnosis was, what were plans for long term care, what are his physical abilities/limitations, etc. So, I had to drop everything and run off to this facility to see what it was about. I had wanted hime to have "acute rehab", i.e. 3 hours per day. Those facilities are less like nursing homes, and more like real rehab hospitals. South Pointe Park was not one of those facilities. It is more like a real nursing home and only does 1.5 hours per day. I was very upset. Miami Heart rehab would not take him back, after the 8 man scuffle with him in the elevator. Can't say I blame them. St. Catherines would also not take him.

Turns out the better facilities that are usually to capacity anyway, don't take patients on the drugs my dad is now on to control his behavior. They don't need to. That's not to say that the other facilities are better equipped to handle patients such as my dad, they're not. They just are not usually at capacity and therefore will take anyone.

I was doubly upset b/c when I visited my dad on thursday, the "edge" was back in his personality. I could tell that he was off or coming off his meds. No one seemed to listen to me and I waited 2 hours at the hospital to speak to the nurse, but she never would speak to me. Couldn't get the doc to call us either. I wanted to scream.

So, they transported him and I started getting calls later in the evening b/c South Pointe was unaware that he was coming there. Oy, the incompetance. I could also hear my dad screaming in the background asking why he wasn't driven home instead of there.

Luckily, when I checked on him the next morning, they had given him his meds and he was once again a happy guy and complying with his medical care. What a relief. I was so afraid that they hospital didn't release him with med orders, and he'd wind up right back there after a fight with the employees of this facility.

So, hopefully things will settle down. I was able to speak with PT, and give them background on my dad so that they can start working with him and discovering his physical limitations....and finally reporting to us.

So, that's that. We're going to go out today to get him some clothes for rehab. a few gym shorts and gym pants. His dockers and nice shirt were either lost in the transfer or stolen. Nice. When I mentioned the gym clothes to dot, her comment was that buying him clothes was very optimistic. She's right. So, we shall see.

Hope you all have a nice weekend.

6 Brilliant Comment(s) from Friends:

Gramma said...

Just a reader wishing you (and your father) well. It is sad that either of you have to deal with so much discord in addition to his actual medical problems. I am in awe of all that you do with raising T and your career and your mom and dad's illnesses.
Just came over from another blog where the mom is having a rough go and says she keeps singing in her mind the Dory song from "Finding Nemo","just keep swimming.Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming,swimming,swimming..."
Sending good vibes fora calmer weekend.

Aunt Connie said...

I feel so sorry for Tom and you girls. Seems to be a never ending problematic situation. I'm sure hoping SP can ease this burden. xox

Carol and Taylor said...

thanks gramma and aunt connie...its nice to know someone's rooting for you. I'm happy to report that my dad cooperated with rehab today. Yippee! I'm just praying that it continues!

Laura said...

Hey lady,
Sending good thoughts your way and hugs to you, Dot and Miss T. Love T's costume.
I feel some of your pain - I was so frustrated when Steve was in the hospital and felt like communication was non-existant. I threw a fit multiple times - felt like it was the only way I was heard.
Hope things remain stable and peaceful for awhile.

Itty Bitty Ladybug said...

I am so sorry that the hospital personnel continue to be so difficult. I really don't understand why they wouldn't communicate with you - isn't that in the best interest of the patient? How are you suppossed to follow up with appropriate care if you don't even know what is going on? How frustrating!

You are doing an incredible job of keeping everything together. I hope this coming week brings more information, peace and recovery.


Cousin Terry said...

I hope this medication helps Tom and makes things easier for you two. I keep the Jordan family in my prayers.

A marvelous plan was made in the stars,
to create a miracle across the ocean so far....
Then entwine and weave all the hopes and labor,
it would take to bring us this joy called "Taylor"....
Now three lives are blessed and somewhere in the stars,
the planners are smiling, as we all are.

Taylor's Gal Pals

How Long We've Been a Family: