Welcome 2nd Grade!!

No more sleeping late for us! It's back to school time!

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Week from Hell

  • Well, where shall I begin in reciting and documenting the hellish week I've suffered. And do I really want to b/c really, who wants to read this? But, since ultimately this is a chronical of our life typed my family, here we go...


  • It all started last saturday, when Ico called hopping mad bc my dad was threatening to throw her out of the house. We go tearing over there to keep the peace, and finally leave around 800 at night. I get a call the next morning that my dad had been falling down during the night.


  • He fell in the early morning hours, and Ico had to call fire rescue to get him back up. Then, he fell again around 600 and fire rescue was called again. They put him back in his twin sized bed after determining his vitals were OK.


  • Ico called me around 800 to say she can't deal with him. I go over to find that apparently he had tried to get up to go to the bathroom, and fell. He was lying perpendicular on the bed. It took both Ico and I together to get him laying right in the bed. However, he wanted to walk 15 feet to the bathroom. He could barely stand up, needed assistence standing, and had trouble making his feet/legs work correctly.


  • I called 911 had had him transported to the hospital. He's been there since sunday. While the cat scan showed nothing, the MRI showed he had a stroke. Luckily its a mild one. They did other tests and determined that his heart is OK and not causing the strokes. Its just his physiology and old age. Of course, if anyone reads this blog, they know he is in denial about the whole thing. Apparently, the hospital has been drugging him up, b/c he's so uncooperative with treatment. They want to release him to a rehab facility. I have not seen him walk since he's been in the hospital. They report that it took a male nurse on each side supporting him for him to go to the bathroom. Not sure if that's b/c his balance is affected due to the stroke, whether its residual from the meds, or a combo of both. I have no idea what the future will hold for my dad. If his mobility is affected, I don't think that Ico will be able to deal with him. Don't know what we shall do. Only time will tell.


  • In the meantime, the reason for no updates here, is that on sunday or monday night, I spilled diet coke on my laptop. Ruined the keyboard and could no longer type on it. Just bought a new one today.


  • Friday, I got a call from the hospice nurse saying she was at the house, and no one was answering the door. I freak and go flying home, only to discover all was well. For a bit I was wondering if the fill in aide had just up and left my mom alone, or Ico had returned and was in trouble in the house. Oy.


  • On the way back to work, to avoid a construction area, I chose to go down NE 2 Avenue. The frickin road was also under construction. I drove over some unidentifiable thing in the road, that blew my time. Literally cut the thing to smithereens. Given the huge noise it made as well, I had the car towed to the dealership to make sure that nothing further was wrong other than the tire. Good thing. Apparently there is all kinds of damage to the wheel and all related parts. Had to put in an insurance claim.


  • Went to lunch, and the waiter dropped and broke the water glass, spilling it all over us.


  • I really am starting to think that I'm under some type of jinx.


  • I have now found that the thing I'm most greatful for at the moment, is aftercare. They do homework. Therefore, between all the hospital visits and getting home at 900, I don't have to worry about T and her homework. Its already done.

3 Brilliant Comment(s) from Friends:

Anonymous said...

Carol, prayers and thoughts are going your way. xoxo. Kathie

park it said...

Carol,
Sounds like the same stuff with my dad - my dad went to rehab - he could not get up and take a step - we told him when he could walk done the hall -by himself - he could come home...

I am so sorry that this has been a tough week ! Sounds like you need to hang some garlic or something!

Hope this week goes better
Carol in FL

~Stacey said...

Bless your heart! Things have to start getting better. Hope your parents start having better days. And WOW...they help do homework? Not here :(


Stacey

A marvelous plan was made in the stars,
to create a miracle across the ocean so far....
Then entwine and weave all the hopes and labor,
it would take to bring us this joy called "Taylor"....
Now three lives are blessed and somewhere in the stars,
the planners are smiling, as we all are.
-Anon.




Taylor's Gal Pals

How Long We've Been a Family: