Welcome 2nd Grade!!

No more sleeping late for us! It's back to school time!

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Still Hanging in There


I'm still hanging in there. My dad was released from Mt. Sinai hospital to the rehab hospital. I was very hopeful that finally I would get an assessment on his physical abilities and limitations post stroke. 11 days he was in the hospital, and no one can tell me. I asked everyday. There was a new nurse everyday which was very frustrating. No continuity of nursing care. I asked to speak with the physical therapist only to be told that they don't make phone calls. Idiots. All I would get was speak to the doctor. The doctor who has never seen my dad attempt to walk, nor is ever around. When he did deign to call, I could barely understand him b/c he spoke so frickin' fast and it was clear all he wanted to do was hang up the phone.

I asked for the physical therapy report, to no avail. So, I'm thinking, OK. I won't make a scene. I'll wait til he goes to the rehab hospital where that's all they do. He was transferred Tuesday night, and I went to see him first thing Wednesday morning. The nurses report that he was agitated around 300 a.m., wanted to do home, and was given drugs to calm him down. By 900 he seemed happy, in good spirits, and cooperative.

I was also happy b/c they have a team of psychiatrists psychologists who I like on staff, so I was hopeful that I'd get some help or medication to give him on a long term basis, to assist with his behavior issues at home when he's trying to throw the aide out.

Notice its all in past tense.

I got a call around 300 pm that they were transferring him back to Mt. Sinai. He wigged out and decided he was walking out. Never mind that his balance is off and could fall and kill himself. Never mind he was only in hospital gown and underwear. Never mind that the was just wearing little socks. Never mind that he had no wallet, money, keys. Never mind that his truck is parked at home. He said he was leaving, going downstairs to his truck and driving home. He just wants to get home to my mom, poor thing.

Well, lets just say he made it to the elevators, and it too 8 men to get him back to his room. Even they drugs they had there weren't kicking in to subdue him. So, the packed him off back to the ER, where they could use the mega drugs, I guess.

He remains there through the weekend for observation. No word on any release.

So, I'm back to square one. Trying to figure out what his physical capabilities are to make a determination about the future. Can he come home? That's what we hope. Does he need further equipment in the house if he does? Do we need to get another aide in the house if he does?

What's worse, I think the doc is going to yank his driving privileges. Even if we got meds to calm him generally re Icolene and my mom's care, once he realizes he can't drive it will be WWIII. The big one. A frickin' nuclear one. Oy.

So, who knows what the future will hold. I'm not that optimistic that it will be anything easy or good.

2 Brilliant Comment(s) from Friends:

Alice said...

Oh my! You've been through so much! I pray that you quickly find some help, so you can have peace of mind.

Aunt Connie said...

Such a heavy burden you two girls are carrying. I pray Tom will settle down and you get relief. My prayer list is getting bigger and bigger. Love - xxooxx

A marvelous plan was made in the stars,
to create a miracle across the ocean so far....
Then entwine and weave all the hopes and labor,
it would take to bring us this joy called "Taylor"....
Now three lives are blessed and somewhere in the stars,
the planners are smiling, as we all are.
-Anon.




Taylor's Gal Pals

How Long We've Been a Family: