Welcome 2nd Grade!!

No more sleeping late for us! It's back to school time!

Monday, November 7, 2011

This and That

Is anybody else out there thankful for the fall-back time change? It was so easy getting up this morning. I wonder how long it will last. I suspect not long at all.

We spent the weekend basically dealing w/ my parents. On saturday, I had additional hurricane shutters installed. The house is now a veritable fortress. Finally. I also had the whole house rewired for cable and the cable company hooked it all up. Finally, each bedroom has cable for the first time ever. So long dish network.

I couldn't wait until I could end their dish network. some SOB salesman convinced by dad to switch and sign a 2 yr contract. They then proceeded to install the most complicated dvr/satellite system known to man. Even I had a hard time with the complicated remote. Never mind my over 80 demented parents who never quite got the hang of a VCR. Adios, is all I have to say. The new cable system is really really simple. They basically now have the "jitterbug" of cable remotes.

Of course, all this may be for naught b/c I got a call on sunday that my mom wasn't really responsive to the aide. Ico call in the hospice nurse, as my mom hadn't really eaten much of anything, and seemed less responsive. I noted that she was very unresponsive as well. For the first time ever, I was getting just a blank stare from her, with no recognition.

So, they put her on 24 hour crisis care, which means they put a CNA in the house 24/7. Her regular nurse saw her today, and continued the crisis care another 24 hours, as the sunday nurses reported that she failed to eat much at all. Clearly, something has happened. Whether it was a TIA or something more is unknown.

Good news is that when I dropped in today, she did recognize me. However the failing to eat remains problematic. We're hoping she snaps out of it soon. On an upnote, her vital signs are good and stable.

As has been explained, she could die in 2 minutes, 2 weeks, 2 months, or 2 years. just know knowing. So, I'm on telephone standby in case she takes a turn for the worse. There is no way in hell I can let her die with my dad still in the nursing home. If she takes a turn for the worse, I'll have to go and liberate him. If this goes on much longer, I'll have to go liberate him. Of course once that happens, there will be no getting him back in there. This decision is what is stressing me out the most.

On an upnote....when I returned to my office today, I found on my desk a lovely flowering potted plant and a balloon saying happy birthday, along with a card. It was from my secretary. Problem is, my birthday is not until February. That OK though, it made me smile and laugh, and I really needed one right about then.

T is in the tub with a plastic glass of diet coke. We're learning all about diffusion and she's busy dumping into her bath to watch it dissipate. Our conversation:

T: can I dump it in the tub?

Me: sure, you can do what you want with it, its your soda and bathwater.

T: can I dump it into the shampoo?

Me: ummm, no. not that. anything but that.

T: can I dump it in the bubble bath?

Me: ummm, no, not that either.

This kid keeps me on my toes!

2 Brilliant Comment(s) from Friends:

KaraP said...

We'll be praying for you guys. That's rough. If you need anything, let me know. Kara, Mitch and Mae-Lei... BTW, Happy referral anniversary.

aunt connie said...

Thanks for this and that. How about here and now?

A marvelous plan was made in the stars,
to create a miracle across the ocean so far....
Then entwine and weave all the hopes and labor,
it would take to bring us this joy called "Taylor"....
Now three lives are blessed and somewhere in the stars,
the planners are smiling, as we all are.
-Anon.




Taylor's Gal Pals

How Long We've Been a Family: